Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Where do children sleep?

I saw this amazing post called Where children sleep on Facebook and it brought back some memories of my trip to Cambodia five years ago.




After a boat-ride from Phonm Penh I had just arrived to the ferry dock at Chong Khneas 12 km south of Siem Reap when I saw a tiny hut with the walls made of reeds. The hut belonged to a barber's family, to her parents to be exact. The barber was a 11 years old girl. She worked in front of the house while her family was working somewhere else. The whole family slept in the only room in the hut, which is not bigger than an average bedroom. They did not have a proper door, beds nor much anything else. Yet they survived.


When I look at the photos of this photo documentary I feel most sorry for the Romanian boy, Nepalian girl, boy from Cambodia and the pregnant Brazilian girl. I feel like the tribes and nomads prefer to live close to the animals and I don't know if they were even happy to have an actual house. But said that I have to add that I do not know enough about them. Most annoyed yet worried I am about little Jamine's (age 4) lifestyle. She has participated in more than 100 beauty competitions. What does that to her mental health?


Here are some photos of Cambodian kids.










No comments:

Post a Comment